Gary Junction and Plenty Highway road conditions

Submitted: Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:38
ThreadID: 145382 Views:1922 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I'm up in Broome and planning to drive my 2016 Prado to NSW in late April. I strongly suspect Fitzroy Crossing will still not be passable by then - I have info - and the Gibb will probably open late this year, sometime in May, due to the rains, so I am thinking of Telfer-Gary Junction-Plenty to get onto the bitumen in Queensland.

Who will be best to talk to in April about road conditions?

Thanks,

Dave
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:50

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 14:50
The Gary Junction Road is a nice drive.
Most communities had fuel available pre-covid. Might be worth checking before you go and also talk to them about the road condition, but my guess is that it will be fine. Relatively little traffic means relatively few corrugations. :)
I know a few who have taken caravans across without drama.
I could post a pile of pics from 2008 towing a boat if that was of interest? Check other threads here too.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 642979

Reply By: Dave the Rave - Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:10

Thursday, Mar 02, 2023 at 18:10
Thank-you! I have actually flown a light plane from Warakurna to Broome and photographed a caravan combo on the road last July.
AnswerID: 642983

Reply By: qldcamper - Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 07:54

Friday, Mar 03, 2023 at 07:54
Tha Sandover is usually in much better condition due to much less traffic because there is very little along there as far as camping and fuel goes, just one comunity at the western end with fuel and a few stations that are not open to visitors and hard to find a secluded camp spot unless you know where to look.
Lake Nash at the eastern end as far as I could find is the name of a property with a rather blunt not welcome sign at the entrance.
AnswerID: 642993

Sponsored Links