Blog Review: East Pilbara to NW Coast

My Blog Rating: My Rating 4/5

Enjoyed the blog, much of it very familiar from our previous travel across that area in August'18. Sadly we too found many trees at Carawine Gorge which had very obviously been attacked & vandalised with axes, including deliberately ring barked ones Someone called Noddy had carved his name on one of them. Whenever we find selfish, thoughtless evidence of other campers we now refer to them as Noddies.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 17, 2023 at 19:35

Friday, Mar 17, 2023 at 19:35
"Noddies" I like it. It's quite sad to see blatant degradation like that. All we can do is try to make people aware of the impact of their negligence and selfishness I guess.
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 643087

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Saturday, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:03

Saturday, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:03
I don't think that will work with the mass of mindless morons out there nowadays. They couldn't care less about anyone or anything except themselves.
I've been going to Carawine ever since my first visit when working at Telfer in the early 80s and it's a lovely place and all the owners ask, (Warrawagine Station) is that you respect it.
Most do that I've seen, thankfully, but those that just must have a fire everywhere they go are a bloody menace.
Chainsaws, bright lights and loud music to go with big mouths.
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 922737

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 07:58

Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 07:58
Hi Alan TH,

I see nothing wrong with having a fire for both cooking and to just sit in front of. Provided it is managed properly, that is the firewood is collected responsibly, and that people ensure the fire is completely extinguished when they leave.

This is our fire box.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922741

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Mar 18, 2023 at 16:01

Saturday, Mar 18, 2023 at 16:01
Re Muccanoo Pool on the DeGrey River.
Margaret and I worked on Yarrie Station in 2007 and 2008. At that time, Muccan homestead was a ruin and Muccan and Yarrie stations were being run as a single property. In more recent times they have been seperated into 2 properties again and are being run by 2 of the next generation of the Coppin family. A new homestead has been built on Muccan.
This is what the combined properties looked like in 2008. As you can see it also goes out north quite a way and includes Shay Gap where there is some very pretty country.

They are great people and I am sure that requests to camp at various spots would result in friendly responses.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643090

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 10:36

Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 10:36
We camped there in a group years ago Peter and got visited by station people who were quite happy to see responsible camping.
My comment re some 'must have a fire' was aimed at those who park as close as they can to others and the fire is big and smokey.
Try breathing down wind of some especially when they also chuck their meat packaging on, it is awful. We actually had one such person in the club we used to be in and he was the chairman. No regard for anyone else except himself.
As for the bright lights and loud music brigade.....words nearly fail me. :)
AlanTH.
FollowupID: 922743

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:48

Monday, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:48
A bit more diversion.... :)
A couple of pics taken near the pool of the DeGrey in 2008 after some "out of season" rain.
Beware if there is rain anywhere upstream.

This is just upstream from the pool near the Yarrie homestead where it is common to drive across.

This is looking upstream from near the concrete road crossing. Taken from the R22.

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 922752

Reply By: Phil B (WA) - Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 06:49

Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 06:49
Vandalism is a pet hate of mine. I've been to many remote places in WA and am constantly amazed to see vandalism at some of these locations.

Why do people do it? I penned an article giving my thoughts on vandals in Western 4WDriver magazine.

There is a lot of difference between
‘Human Being’ and ‘Being Human’.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 643092

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 15:44

Sunday, Mar 19, 2023 at 15:44
I used to think that people were just stupid & ignorant. Who with an ounce of grey matter thinks that cutting down live trees will enable a camp fire? Let alone deliberately ring barking them!

Now, in addition to lack of, or non utilised grey matter, I reckon there is a selfish attitude which goes something like "As long as I am here, this is my place & I can do as I like, it's what freedom is all about .....mate.

The lack of concern about what is left for those who follow is 'don't give a f*ck' syndrome so long as I can do what I want. "Hey son, check out my axe throwing, there's a nice juicy tree, wanna have a go like ya dad? Owzebout ya stay there an practice while ya dad goes an has anuvver bee-er".
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 922745

Sponsored Links