Fuel usage for a 1999 1HZJ 75 series Troopy

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 01, 2023 at 15:24
ThreadID: 145706 Views:1239 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I've not long returned from a 7.5 week road trip from Perth to Townsville and return driving my 24 year old Troopy. This is a bog standard vehicle with no turbo and minimal upgrade to the suspension and wearing Cooper ST Maxx tyres.
I went via the Great Central Road and had to go up to Tennant Creek and into Qld via the Barkly Highway as the Plenty Highway was closed at that stage. I visited locations like Boulia, Winton, Longreach and Emerald for family history reasons before heading up to Townsville to meet my better half who had flown over. After going down the coast to Brisbane, we spent some time visiting locations like St George, Glenmorgan, Surat, Charleville and Cunnamulla again for family history reasons. Then down through Bourke, Cobar, Wilcannia and Port Augusta before heading across the Nullarbor to home.
Total distance - 12,882km
Total litres of diesel - 1,704.2
Total cost of diesel - $3,539
Average fuel usage - 13.22l/100km
Average cost - $27.47/100km
Most expensive fuel was at the Warburton Roadhouse. Average speed was in the range of 95 - 105kmh although slower on the GCC.
Had an oil and filters change at the Toyota dealer in Townsville. Only issues were the oil pressure gauge stopped working outside Camooweal and the bonnet release cable broke south of Cunnamulla. One small windscreen chip.
The lesson for me was that a well maintained vehicle will generally get you where you want to go.
Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Thursday, Jun 01, 2023 at 16:11

Thursday, Jun 01, 2023 at 16:11
Couldnt agree more Pat. These older basic 4bys are worth more than people realise. I have kept a 33 year old Petrol Patrol (RB30) in prime condition - still the most reliable and field servicable vehicle I have ever owned. Maintenence and mechanical nouse keeps the little things at bay, rebuilt the engine at 400,000ks because I had time and decided to replace clutch and valves - the bores didnt even have a lip nor was it using oil. Recently took it from Kalgoorlie to SE Qld without missing a beat, uses 17-18 lit/100. Not sure I trust most new vehicles that much.
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643730

Reply By: Batt's - Thursday, Jun 01, 2023 at 20:14

Thursday, Jun 01, 2023 at 20:14
Pretty good econ for a troopy I expect you were carrying a bit of weight as well. I just got back yesterday from a 7,000km run from Biloela to Bris, Newcastle to Coffin Bay in S.A then back home. I have a 2007 BT50 3.0ltr turbo and got around the same econ stuck to the speed limits quite a bit of 110km zones estimate around 2.4t. I recon mines a bit thirsty for an always serviced common rail diesel. My previous 1993 GQ used 11.8lph at 2.6t. I think fuel usage per cylinder is better in some of the old 6 cylinders than some 4 cylinders.
AnswerID: 643732

Follow Up By: Member - Northern Wanderer - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 12:57

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 12:57
I was pretty pleased with the usage. In mid 2021 Fremantle Fuel Injection did a lot of work on the fuel pump, injectors, replaced the radiator and water pump and put in a timing belt kit. Wasn't cheap but since then the Troopy has run much better. On the stretch from Perth to Coolgardie I sat on 110 and my fuel usage was 15.5l/100km so that's why I slowed down a bit after that and it certainly improved my usage.
FollowupID: 923474

Reply By: Life Member - Duncan W (WA) - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 09:28

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 09:28
G'day Pat my Troopy is a 99 75 series as well and no tubo but extractors and a bigger exhaust. Mines pretty heavy with all the gear that's bolted on and what's carried inside and out, and the best average I usually get is about 6.5km/L or 15.4L/100. Interestingly I just checked my logs for 2 Kimberley & 2 Simpson trips and the average was pretty close to the other trips so travelling in the desert didn't affect my averages much at all.

Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 643737

Follow Up By: Member - Northern Wanderer - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 13:12

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 13:12
Hi Dunc
I was carrying a bit of gear but I think having good injectors and fuel pump and slowing down a bit helped a lot. I have two tanks and was able to get well over 1,200kms out of them before having to refuel. I never bothered keeping records of fuel usage when I lived in the Kimberley and the Pilbara so I can't do a comparison but I'm pretty sure I wasn't getting as good usage as I do now.
FollowupID: 923475

Sponsored Links