Blog Comment: COMMUNICATION DEVICES FOR REMOTE TRAVEL

Thanks for the ideas. Perhaps one could add that there is now the luxury of Elon Musk's Starlink available for full phone and internet service virtually anywhere in the world. It is much more expensive, currently $AU139 per month at your home address and $174 whilst travelling, but worth considering.
An alternative for an initial $300 and $32pm in use or $6.50 if unused, is the Zoleo satellite/cellular network communicator. It has a similar SOS function plus texting ability via satellite.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Matwil - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 09:26

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 09:26
Both valid devices but I have not had any personal experience with either. Thanks for the additional info.
Wanting to explore our vast wide land

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 643757

Reply By: Member - PhilD_NT - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 17:19

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 17:19
We have Starlink and are currently connected to it. Our plan is "Mobile - Regional" @ $174 per month, but this is only while we're travelling. For the rest of the year you can suspend the account for zero charge, unless this changes. Also, you have to be stationary while using it. While some people have modified it so they could use it in motion (a separate and more expensive Plan) Starlink becomes aware of it and is contacting those people it catches out.

There are alternate Plan's for fixed addresses and in-motion usage.

We've been using it regularly from Darwin and down through Qld and now NSW with limited issues, just a couple of places with too many trees in the southerly direction the dish needs to point to.

At present the Starlink modem requires an inverter to run off grid. A 200W may suffice, but we have a 300W pure sine wave. The modem feeds the dish via PoE but the cable has proprietary end connectors. Many people are modifying the setup to run off 12V directly. I've cut the cable and fitted RJ45 connectors in the middle to allow easier access in to the van. One power saving feature that can be turned off in the app that runs it is "snow melt" to the dish, which has limited use in Australia and does increase the power required.

In a couple of places with 5G access, a test I did showed similar speeds. Also, if your mobile provider allows it, you have the capability of WIFI calling.

We have used it to stream programs for watching on a screen with good success. On last year's trip into WA our TV died and our TV antenna got stuck, so this trip we left the antenna behind and rely on internet access to things. We WIFI connect to a Telstra TV box and to a cheap projector for a large picture on a white wall at the back of the van, about 80+ inches.
AnswerID: 643765

Sponsored Links