Purchasing truck and doing 1/2 lap. Help with rules/costs/etc?

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 14:54
ThreadID: 145720 Views:1478 Replies:2 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hey guys, new here and looking at getting into some exploration of this great country. Bit of a long first post but trying to gather as much knowledge as I can.

Firstly, I'm planning on selling my personal car and looking at buying a Fuso Canter 4x4 Crew Cab from the Sunshine Coast. I'm hoping to get a tray built for it at time of purchase then fly up and drive the long way home. I've been told that sleeping in the cab of a truck that isn't a specific sleeper cab is against the national heavy vehicle rules but I have been unable to find anything supporting this and wondering if anyone can shed some light on this? As far as I can gather, as long as the truck is under 12t GVM, it isnt a 'fatigue regulted' truck and I should have no issues sleeping in the cab if I so choose.

Secondly, trying to find a rough figure for insurance on the truck has been a bit of a nightmare. I get very conflicting ideas from different people but I do not know anybody who owns a truck as a private vehicle. Anybody here have a truck (GVM 6.5t) registered privately? What do you pay for insurance and registration?

Lastly, the trip itself. I'll hopefully be looking to purchase the truck in September (When they're available) and drive pretty much from the dealership to a store to stock up on general supplies and bits and pieces. From there I'm wanting to drive up to Cairns, across to Darwin, through to Broome, down the West Coast, across the Nullarbor home. I'm not looking to push the trucks limits on this trip but will definetly be looking to get the thing muddy and find some secluded places along the way. Is this too late in the year for this kind of trip? I'm well versed in offroading and long trips but haven't ventured up North and hear some gnarly tales of things going wrong very quickly and would love some feedback.

Cheers, Bushee
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 15:57

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 15:57
I don't believe any of the rules re sleeping and rest periods apply to non commercial truck use.

Buy a $5000 caravan, remove the wheels & axle and bolt it "permanently" to the tray and register and insure it as a motorhome. NOTE: strapped to the tray is not "permanent", bolted can be.

Take the trip clockwise instead.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
AnswerID: 643763

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 16:57

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 16:57
In front of the caravan on the tray, add a couple of 1,000L IBCs for a water supply.
Choose a van with shower and toilet. Add another tank under the tray for grey water and some solar and batteries.
Now you can hide away in some special spot for weeks. :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923518

Follow Up By: Bushee - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:31

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:31
Thanks Peter, I was of the same belief.

I plan on using the truck for occasional work too so planning on building a camper box that I can strap down. Any 'permanent' modifications require it to be mod plated and make it hard to then swap back to a truck for a day.

I've done the East Coast multiple times, never done the North Coast or West Coast so wanna break the truck in that way. I like your thinking but I've only got 3.5 tonne to play with BEFORE the tray so might have to dial down some of the litreage there. :)

Mind if I ask roughly what a year of insurance costs on the OKA? I'd imagine the GVM would be similar to the 6.5t Fuso.

Thanks, Bushee
FollowupID: 923525

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 22:22

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 22:22
The OKA is a motorhome, which makes a significant difference and the higher the insured value, the lower the premium as a % of the insured value. Our premium is around 1% of the insured value. Not sure that this is useful to your situation.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923530

Follow Up By: Bushee - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 06:02

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 06:02
That's very helpful in comparison to some of what people have been telling me.

Thanks, Bushee.
FollowupID: 923531

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 06:24

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 06:24
Once your vehicle is over 12000 kg GVM or 12000 GCM you come under Fatigue Management regulations.
Whether it is commercial or not. The GCM can catch people out. For example we owned a truck that had a GVM of 11700 kg so once a trailer was towed the truck came under the Fatigue rules. I just did a search to see if heavy motor homes have any dispensations and couldn't find any information about that.
FollowupID: 923532

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 14:40

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 14:40
Joe G2, motorhomes are specifically excluded, irrespective of GVM or GCM.
Here is the act.

On page 90 you will find this........
" (2) However, subject to subsection (3), a heavy vehicle is not a
fatigue-regulated heavy vehicle for the purposes of this Law
if it is any of the following—
(a) a motor vehicle that—
(i) is built, or has been modified, to operate primarily
as a machine or implement off-road, on a
road-related area, or on an area of road that is
under construction; and
(ii) is not capable of carrying goods or passengers by
road;
Examples for the purposes of paragraph (a)—
agricultural machine, backhoe, bulldozer, excavator, forklift,
front-end loader, grader, motor vehicle registered under an
Australian road law as a special purpose vehicle (type p)
(b) a motorhome."
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

ps.....
"(4) For the purposes of subsection (2)(b), a motorhome—
(a) is a rigid or articulated motor vehicle or combination that is built, or has been modified, primarily for residential purposes; and
(b) does not include a motor vehicle that is merely a motor vehicle constructed with a sleeper berth."
FollowupID: 923538

Follow Up By: Joe G2 - Tuesday, Jun 06, 2023 at 05:08

Tuesday, Jun 06, 2023 at 05:08
Thanks Peter, I thought there was some dispensation for certain vehicle's that were over 12000 kg GVM but my quick search could not find any information.
FollowupID: 923540

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 15:58

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 15:58
As stated. The caravan idea is well worth considering. I do not think you need a 4x4 either. Your planned route is 90% bitumen. Mate just bought a brand new canter and less than $60,000 on the road.

AnswerID: 643764

Follow Up By: Bushee - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:38

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:38
In all honesty it's not far off what I'm planning anyway. Long term I'm looking to build a camper box for it that I can drop on/drop off of the tray and use the truck occasionally for work.

I know that a lot of this trip will be sealed roads but do plan on getting off the beaten track here and there along the way. But this is a trip to basically bring the truck home with a little bit more adventure rather than driving straight through the middle. I haven't done the North/West Coast before so using the fact the truck is starting up there as a bit of an excuse. :)

Is your mate's canter privately owned or business owned?

Thanks, Bushee.
FollowupID: 923526

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:54

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:54
Business. He got the dual cab with a long tray. I thought about getting one as well but would have problems garaging it at home. The dual cab is excellent for storage. I,d go the shorter tray option if not required for a work vehicle.. It belts along the highway and is a 6 out of ten, when unladen, on dirt roads. Not a 4x4 model. Few people at his work have them and they remapped the motors with great success. He is a top notch diesel mechanis who knows more about diesel engines than many .
FollowupID: 923527

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:57

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 20:57
Business. It is a dual cab with a long tray. Very comfy on the highway but not so comfy on the dirt if not loaded (like many tray style vehicles). If I had room in the garage I'd buy one tomorrow. Excellent vehicle to head off and see Oz. Big dealership network as well. Reliable and not expensive. Short tray on a dual cab would be ideal for 2 people if travelling. Longer tray for a bigger family would suit.
FollowupID: 923528

Follow Up By: Bushee - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 22:16

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 22:16
Yeah, I'm looking at dual cab with moderate tray (I think about 3.2m long) which won't affect departure angle. I drive trucks for work so fair familiar with the ride comfort in most situations. It's quite a substantial upfront cost but trucks appear to hold their value phenomenally so if at some point I plan to sell I wouldn't be taking such a big hit as other things.
FollowupID: 923529

Follow Up By: Member - Bigfish - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 07:06

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 07:06
Another big advantage is the ability to carry a heavy weight as well as tow 3.5 tonne if required. Few of my friends mates have them as well and they have had the motor remapped with brilliant results. Good fuel economy , instant power when towing and fuel economy has not changed (very good economy).. I think his tray is a very long one but the medium size your talking about is perfect. Your not wrong about holding their value! I,d have one of these over a dual cab or 200 series any day.
FollowupID: 923533

Sponsored Links