ExplorOz Traveller: Version 8 and EOTopo 2023

Submitted: Friday, Mar 17, 2023 at 00:29
ThreadID: 145422 Views:3165 Replies:2 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
If you're a Member you are now about to enjoy an early release of ExplorOz Traveller Version 8 AND the online EOTopo 2023 mapset live in the web-app !!!

Version 8 has also been released today to Beta Open Testing for Android and hopefully Apple Test Flight tomorrow (Friday).

We intend to rollout the public release for Version 8 and the EOTopo 2023 mapset for sale on Monday, so Member's you've got early access.

Anyone that purchased EOTopo 2021 on/after the 1st Jan 2023 GMT will also get a free upgrade to the EOTopo 2023. There are no codes to redeem, this will be an automatic licence upgrade that will appear in your user account in the next few days.

The user manual update for the Version 8 release is a current work in progress but should be ready by Monday's public release.

A quick summary of main new features in the Version 8 release:

*support for EOTopo 2023 online
*purchase option for EOTopo 2023 offline
*new option to define your vehicle dimensions (width, height, weight) for auto routing calculations to cater for these parameters.
*new dark mode styling with whole of app effect not just EOTopo maps
*fix for international server download access issues
*photo swiper replace with grid output (Places, Track Logs, Treks)
*Fixed a few minor bugs including an iOS white screen issue on boot caused by a recent OS update
*FREE UPDATES to EOTopo 2023 planned periodically throughout the year.

NOTE: in the Version 8 release of ExplorOz Traveller we no longer offer support for the 2018 or 2019 editions of EOTopo. You must have a licence for EOTopo 2021 or 2023 to continue using offline maps in Version 8 and above of the ExplorOz Traveller app.

Thank you Members - your support is always greatly appreciated so we try to give you the best first.

Michelle
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 6 Moderator

Reply By: David P40 - Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:56

Thursday, Mar 23, 2023 at 22:56
Hi Guys
Can I delete my old Topo 2021 files to save space now that I have downloaded the new 2023 set?
AnswerID: 643146

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:50

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 14:50
Yes just use the "Clear Maps" option at the bottom of the Data Manager before downloading the 2023 maps or if you've already done that, expand the 2021 panel (click the link shown at the bottom of the open 2023 panel) and then individual press the Black delete buttons for the XHirRes, then HiRes, then LoRes 21 packs.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922811

Reply By: Banjo (WA) - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 10:46

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 10:46
I have purchased ExplorOz Traveller.
I have also purchased Exploroz maps, maybe 2018 or 2019, not sure.

When I open the Traveller updated to Version 8 there is a message stating:
'Unsupported Maps, removong maps that are no longer supported'

Does this mean that my purchased Traveller is not going to function?

Paul
AnswerID: 643156

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 15:14

Friday, Mar 24, 2023 at 15:14
Hi Paul, it means that you won't have access to view the 2019 or 2018 map data offline. If you have not previously purchased the 2021 licence then you will now have no offline maps to view when you try to use the app offline which can be resolved by purchasing the new 2023 map licence and downloading those ma files.

Without a supported EOTopo map licence the app is still fully functional - with access to the latest online maps but if you want to view maps when offline, you would only have access to the LoRes which is low resolution/low zoom to level 9 - so to zoom into level 18 offline you need to download the HiRes which requires a licence - either the 2021 edition or the 2023 edition will do.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922814

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:20

Saturday, Mar 25, 2023 at 09:20
So if I spend more money to purchase (hire?) another map how long before it's stolen from me?
FollowupID: 922822

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:31

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:31
???????????????
FollowupID: 922829

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:31

Sunday, Mar 26, 2023 at 10:31
???????????????
FollowupID: 922830

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 07:43

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 07:43
Hi Banjo,

I don’t follow you, please explain?

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922832

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 10:17

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 10:17
Macca,

I purchased a map.
I Purchased Traveller.
When I open the updated Version 8 Traveller there is a message stating:
'Unsupported Maps, removing maps that are no longer supported'
So, I still have Traveller but no map, it has been removed.
I can use Traveller but only if I buy another map.

Maybe I don't understand something?
FollowupID: 922833

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 17:04

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 17:04
Sorry Banjo,

I was under the impression you purchase a license to use the maps, the maps are free.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 922835

Follow Up By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 17:38

Monday, Mar 27, 2023 at 17:38
Information about map licencing is found on the EOTopo page in the FAQ section.

Nothing has changed in that EOTopo maps are free to use online. If you wish to download the maps for offline use you need to purchase a licence. When we update the maps we release a new edition of the download map packs. Each edition is a new product, like a book.

Nothing has changed in what we've always said about supporting older versions - eg. no one is obliged to purchase the 2023 mapset if they currently have the previous edition 2021 mapset. However we have always said that we will only support 1 back editions so that always meant that when we released 2023 that the 2019 mapset would become unsupported. The 2019 mapset therefore had 4 years of support. It is now the end of the raster map tiles in the Traveller app and ONLY vector maps are supported in ExplorOz Traveller v8 and onwards being the 21 and 23 mapsets.

We intend to be able to offer up to 4 years of support for the 2021 mapset to match the longevity of support we have been giving to the previous editions. This will be regardless of how many new editions we release in the future (ie. support won't be limited to 2 current editions - now that all supported maps are vector the issue is slightly different).

So to summarise, no one is forced to buy the 2023 maps if they currently have the older supported edition - the 2021 mapset. And furthermore if we manage to release a 2024 mapset as we hope to, support for the 2021 mapset will still be available until such time we released a 25 edition at which point the 21 licence would then be unsupported.

NOTE: We have stated in the licence for 2023 that we intend to release updates throughout the year that will be free to owners with this licence. This is a trial of a new concept we have for more regular map releases periodically throughout the year and is not guaranteed hence is a free added value. We have not increased the price of our 2023 maps to factor this into consideration. But this idea will be evaluated and may affect pricing of licences in 2024.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 922836

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 10:23

Tuesday, Mar 28, 2023 at 10:23
Right, I get it.

No one is forced to by the 2023 mapset.

It's just that Traveller is useless without forking out more money.

So if i disn't upgrade to V8 Traveller i would still have my maps. Wish I'd known before I updated.
FollowupID: 922839

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Wednesday, Mar 29, 2023 at 09:33

Wednesday, Mar 29, 2023 at 09:33
FollowupID: 922843

Follow Up By: Bev - Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 08:45

Tuesday, Apr 25, 2023 at 08:45
If I have read it correctly you can use the low res off line so still use the app You just don't have the zoom quality that is in the high resolution
Bev
FollowupID: 923043

Follow Up By: Member Kerry W (Qld) - Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 22:40

Monday, Jun 12, 2023 at 22:40
Banjo I know this probably doesnt help but those old maps are getting long in the tooth compared to the newer versions - I am still using a very old mapset (2018 or earlier not sure) on a very old version of EO Traveller on, again, a very old and sloooow (13 year old) iPad. The maps still work but take ages to load because the technology they were designed for, is a few shades more than the old iPad can deal with quickly. But it works enough... Bit of a catch 22 I cant update the maps or the app because they would be too advanced and large for the iPad. If I retire the iPad I lose a working mapping tool that is fine for rattling around in an old spare vehicle I have. However the difference to these maps and even the 2021 version is huge...

It seems that sometines we get caught out between updates in tech, I am about to update my maps on my other devices to the 2023 version but they are over 10 years old too and running at least the 2021 version, so I was waiting until I had newer devices. Either way I am more than happy to pay for the updated maps as they are an invaluable tool and each incarnation is a long way up the evolutionary ladder from the previous one. The 2023 map updates are miles ahead of the earlier maps 2019 and ealier and definately worth the upgrade. Just my own experience and observations...hope this gives some perspective on the value of these updates
Kerry W (Qld)
Security is mostly a superstition. It doesnt exist in nature. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen Keller

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923652

Follow Up By: Banjo (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 07:47

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 07:47
Thanks Kerry.
I appreciate your input and reasoning.
FollowupID: 923658

Follow Up By: Member - Boobook - Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 11:14

Tuesday, Jun 13, 2023 at 11:14
David ( or Michelle) to be fair the page you link to say the licence is a One time only purchase ( for the 2023) maps, and that it is supported until 2027.

That implies that you buy it one time, and that you own it ( having purchased it) and says nothing about it not being available after a few years.

The language should be clearer, saying it is a limited-time right to use, not a purchase where not only support stops after a while, but so does the ability of the "purchaser" to use it.

I personally will never "rent" maps again. If I purchase a map, I should own it.
FollowupID: 923662

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 10:33

Wednesday, Jun 14, 2023 at 10:33
Tony, I do not know what your beef is about. You can keep using that map for as long as you wish to. Just do not attempt to use it on newer versions of Traveller that do not support it. Keep the map and its required version of Traveller and keep using them. You will probably have to keep your computing device as well as newer models may not support the older software either. Reload the older version of Traveller to keep using the map.

You should realise that computing equipment and software really need to be renewed every 4 to 6 years. If you are going to keep machines longer than that, do not update the software. If you do get an inkling to update the software, make sure you have a reliable copy of the software installation files so you can go back to the old versions.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923677

Sponsored Links