Top End trip, truck or 4WD&van?

Submitted: Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 10:00
ThreadID: 145709 Views:1634 Replies:10 FollowUps:14
This Thread has been Archived
Looking to buy either an expedition truck, or 4WD and off road van/trailer. Would be looking at three to four months, maybe up to six for the whole lap. Leaving from Perth July next year, so I’ve got a bit of time to set up. Love the truck for home away from home, and not towing. Size and access to tracks, parking .. some advice, maybe someone has tried both, pros and cons? Solo/couple travel mostly. Much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 10:09

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 10:09
best setup ive seen was a bt50 extra cab 4x4 with a 2 person 5th wheeler off the tray, wasnt big, had space, carrying capacity, easy manouvering,
AnswerID: 643739

Reply By: Batt's - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 10:48

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 10:48
Any experience driving either set up and off road driving tracks corrugations water crossing recovering a bogged vehicle winching experience what tyre pressures to drop to in different situations basic mechanical trouble shooting. Changing tyres which may sound strange but quite a few people have never jacked up a car with a flat. For an expedition truck you may want to carry a couple of push bikes or something similar. With a 4wd and caravan you can unhitch and go other places without having to pack the van up for day trips or shopping etc.
AnswerID: 643740

Reply By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 14:06

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 14:06
Packing up a camper trailer takes 90 minutes or more (from our observations of others).
Packing up a caravan takes 45 minutes or more.
Packing up a "truck" takes 15 minutes or less.
Similar in reverse when arriving somewhere new.
This will be a 'ritual' almost EVERY day on a 6 month 'lap'.
On the odd occasions if we need to go to the shops, it is advantageous to have our fridge, freezer and grocery storage with us in the car park.
If we go sight seeing, lunch and a cuppa or cold drink is always with us and we can always change our mind and not go back to the previous camp site for the night. "Reserving" a camp site is as easy as leaving a table and chair.
There are many places that you will not get to towing and some you will get to but shouldn't.
We are 2.2m wide, 3.05m high and 6m long. I can not recall anywhere we could not go except underground car parks and that includes everything else between supermarket car parks and the toughest tracks in Oz. Shorter overall vehicles sustain less damage.
"Light" vehicles, towing or not, will all have significant weight limitations that can 'go away' with a "truck".
Insuring, registering, maintaining and fueling a single vehicle will be cheaper than 2.
I am not (very) biased...... much :)
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

ps.... 6 months is no where near enough for a "lap" in any vehicle, but it is enough to give you a taste for the life.
AnswerID: 643741

Follow Up By: Member - McLaren3030 - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 07:01

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 07:01
Every thing Peter has said is pretty much the difference between an expedition truck or motorhome and a caravan or camper. However, from my personal experience with both camper trailers and now a caravan, is that for a single overnight night stop, it generally did not take long to set up or pack down. We mainly camp Off Grid.

Camper trailers will definitely take longer than a caravan. I have had both a Cub Camper & a Kimberley Kamper. The Cub took about 35 to 40 minutes for both set up and pack down. The Kimberley about 30 minutes to set up, and about 45 minutes to pack down.

I now have a caravan, and for an overnight stop it takes about 30 minutes to set up, and about 40 minutes to pack up. It is a lot less strenuous with the caravan, as basically it is set the stabiliser legs and level the van, get the table and chairs out and start a fire for cooking. We mainly cook and eat out side, when it is not raining.

Expedition trucks will generally be slightly shorter than a car and caravan overall, as a car and caravan will be between 12 to 14 meters from front of car to rear of caravan. The van on its own can be between 7.5 to 9.0 meters long. Remember, an 18’ van will be approx 8.0 meters long from tow hitch to rear bar.

The modern expedition trucks are quite high off the ground, so if you have any physical disabilities climbing stairs or ladders etc. it may be an effort to get in and out.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923486

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 08:58

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 08:58
All typical expedition trucks will be 8m long, or less. 7m would be typical.
And there can be fundamental differences in how they handle rough or corrugated roads. At a minimum they need super single wheels and parabolic leaf suspension after market conversions, unless they are designed as 4WD off road vehicles from the start and typically that is only the Iveco and the OKA unless you include larger vehicles like Unimogs which I would advise against.
This belongs to a friend.....it is 7 Meters long X 3.1 Meters high X 2.4 Meters wide.
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sydney-city/campervans-motorhomes/expedition-and-adventure-all-terrain-motorhome/1311525357
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923494

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 09:23

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 09:23
From our perspective, one of the main benefits of the expedition truck is the ability to go where caravans can not but to retain the comforts and convenience that they offer but with greater carrying capacity.
That allows us, for instance, to spend a month crossing the Simpson where typically people are needing to cross in a few days due to their limited ability to carry the increased food and water requirements.
Parking up is some remote corner of the country where others struggle to even get to is a great advantage, especially when we can take our toys and comforts along, or even tow a boat, if that is appropriate.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923498

Follow Up By: Batt's - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 10:15

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 10:15
We had a pop top van which should take longer than a regular van and it didn't take any longer than 10 to 15 minutes. Pull the top down from inside the van then walk around outside looking to see curtain is ok do up 4 clips around 2 minutes tops even faster with 2 people. Wind up 4 legs I used a cordless drill then wind up jockey wheel by hand which I used to help reduce weight on 4wd suspension put drill and attachment away close van door all up maybe 5 - 6 minutes. That would take a lot longer if you didn't have a drill. Also longer if in a van park because you usually set up the water hose, sink drain hose and quite often 240v power lead and the vehicle is not attached. It all depends where you store things an how efficiently you go about packing up pretty easy to do it around 20 - 30 minutes. We had a toddler and would quite often put her in the car windows down buckled up ready to go with her colouring in book so we knew where she was but could still talk to her. There are days where you take longer talking to people or having a coffee etc.
FollowupID: 923515

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 19:34

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 19:34
Batt's, you did not make allowances for stowing the awning/annex. Most people have these out even for a one night stand. I think you will find most of the other times quoted would have included that.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923524

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 18:33

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 18:33
So many variables
Are you going to stick to the sealed roads or rough tracks?
Do you intend to set up overnight and then move the next day or stay in one spot for a while?
The big expedition trucks are limited to where you can stay simply due to their size.
The small 4x4 trucks can give a very rough ride (ask them and they will say they are great but go for a ride in one first)
I had a converted coach which was way too big and I found that I just couldn’t get into most places. The rare times is stayed at van parks, they charged double
I’ve had 4 caravans and its my preferred option simply because I can set up camp and then radiate out to explore in the 4x4
Trucks/motorhome must be fully packed up before moving off so it depends how organised you are.
Everyone will give their opinions regarding their setup but few will tell you of the downsides.

AnswerID: 643745

Reply By: Carlos N1 - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:33

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:33
Tasha k you for the feedback, a two person fifth wheeler! Didn’t know they exist. Might be worth look8ng into. Cheers.
AnswerID: 643746

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:37

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:37

Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923481

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 22:50

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 22:50
Who is the builder of that one Peter?

Carlos, if you are content with "Rough road ready" then there is this one Winjana RV Strzelecki 550
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 923485

Follow Up By: Peter_n_Margaret - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 08:44

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 08:44
DIY I imagine.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
FollowupID: 923493

Follow Up By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 09:50

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 09:50
Interesting Peter, especially the door…… looks like you need to crawl in like a rabbit! lol
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923499

Follow Up By: Stephen L (Clare) SA - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 10:28

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 10:28
A very stupid design. All those blocks don’t look stable, the most stupid door design, no stabiliser legs at the rear, the steps so you can crawl in…what a joke
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 923500

Reply By: Carlos N1 - Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:37

Friday, Jun 02, 2023 at 19:37
Yes, so many variables. Ideally, I would like freedom to explore, off the main highways from time to time, with some off grid capacity for a week or so between replenishment. I am concerned about the size and parking issue, didn’t know parks would charge double, is that jealousy ? Cheers, things to ponder!
AnswerID: 643747

Follow Up By: Member - Mark C - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 17:01

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 17:01
I’ve found that smaller towns or suburbs have plenty of room to park my car/van combo either in the shopping centre or in a street very close to it. Just don’t box yourself in, ie turn the wheels so you can drive out.
I'm 19m overall length (ie a semi trailer)
the parks charged double because my motorhome was 11m and the trailer was 8m
FollowupID: 923507

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 10:29

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 10:29
Hi Carlos, If you are considering an 'expedition truck' and '4WD etc' it would seem that you intend to get off-road. In which a single-vehicle (i.e. no trailer) has some advantages. Consider for example heading down a minor track and being blocked by a washout…… turning around to get out with a van or trailer on the back may be nigh-on impossible. However, an expedition truck does have some limitations due to its height although I'm sure Peter could reliably dispute this.

A single-vehicle rig certainly has its manoeuvre advantages but if you want to 'take-it-all-with-you' then a towed van could be the way to go. I have used several camper-trailers, a sole-vehicle Troopy, and now a Sprinter camper-van, progressing through these as our needs changed and found each style had advantages and disadvantages peculiar to our individual needs. The current camper-van (small motor-home) is great for quick set-up and comfortable but although being 4WD I would not put it over the more rugged or confined tracks.

The problem with asking others about "pros and cons" advice is that the responses are biased to their individual preferences which likely do not match yours. Perhaps the question may be better put as "What don't you like about the style of your set-up?" In my case the answer is "I cannot go everywhere that I may wish to go".
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 643748

Follow Up By: AlbyNSW - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 15:28

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 15:28
And to add to what Alan has said.
You are not going away for very long and the options you are considering can be substantial investments
What do you plan on doing with the purchase after your trip, sell it again? Or if you went the van / camper trailer type route would the tow vehicle be a longer term purchase for after the trip?

You need to decide how adventurous you are going to be which will rule out some options and then go from there.
There is no right answer to your question and everything is a compromise, the trick is to work out what compromises you are prepared to live with.
FollowupID: 923506

Reply By: Member - Mark C - Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 17:06

Saturday, Jun 03, 2023 at 17:06
in the big scheme of things, you are only planning to go for 6 mths so if you end up with something you dont like, you wont have to put up with it for the rest of your life.

likre said, there are pros and cons to both types.
i just dont like having to pack up every morning but you are only doing a shortish trip so you will be fine
I met a couple who did a 6 tmh trip and never disconnected the van because it was too hard for them.
AnswerID: 643752

Reply By: Member - Cuppa - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 09:53

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 09:53
A cost effective compromise (compared to an expedition truck) is a 4wd +Tvan. It has the advantages of being able to access places which any 4wd can access, plus *much* faster set up/pack up than other camper trailers. A used Tvan can be bought for $22K+ & sold for the same 6 months later. Older Tvans are just as capable off road as new ones (arguably better). Combined with a 4wd storage is enormous for two people, allowing for extended periods off grid. There is canvas, but it is minimal, with a 5 minute setup/pack up, but the real joy is that accomodation is not reliant on the canvas, so possible to pull up for the night & being set up in 30 seconds. We frequently camp in this way with ours. Queen sized bed under a hard roof. Downside, like most camper trailers, is outdoor only cooking. For a six month trip around the country not really a deal breaker. We have called our Patrol ute/canopy & Tvan home for almost 6 years now.

I do agree with the advantages stated by others about expedition trucks/off road motorhomes, but for a 6 month trip would consider this overkill unless money is no object & you already have familiarity (& licence) with driving a heavy vehicle.

6 months is a very (in my view 'overly') short time period for the sort of trip you are contemplating. I would suggest that 12 months would be a bare minimum & even that will miss a great deal. Our first around Australia trip was in a converted 7 metre bus (Nissan Civilian - like a Toyota Coaster) - it excluded high clearance 4wd tracks, but still took in a number of the major off road routes (like the Birdsville Track), as they have reasonable ground clearance & ruggedness. 2wd. It was a wonderful adventure, but the 18 months passed in a flash.

We changed to a Patrol & Tvan to access country which the bus could not - with zero regrets.

Now with more age on us we are looking again at expedition trucks for added convenience/comfort but with ability to access most that the Patrol & Tvan has allowed (and with similar storage to allow for extended periods off grid).

A final point on timeframes. If 6 months is a definite maximum for a round Australia trip, paying out big bucks for any serious off road travel rig really is likely to be pretty much a waste of money unless you restrict yourself to a small section of the country. A six month lap simply will not afford you the time to 'do a lap' which includes 'off road'. It'd be hard yakka with little time to stop & smell the roses just on bitumen.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

AnswerID: 643758

Follow Up By: Rob A1 (SA) - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 11:13

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 11:13
The T-Van is a good option and there are other equally capable Australian made products that would be part of any purchase consideration IMHO. These would include, Ultimate, AOR's Sierra or Oddy series and even the smaller Kimberley products

As well there's the tray top solution of which there are not that many left in Oz but the Carry Me range made at Murray Bridge in SA offers excellent quality and design as well

Rob
Rob Ackland

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 923536

Follow Up By: Member - Cuppa - Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 14:02

Monday, Jun 05, 2023 at 14:02
Not forgetting the 'Vista Crossover'.
See 'My Profile' (below) for link to our Aussie travel blog, now in it's 6th year.

FollowupID: 923537

Reply By: Carlos N1 - Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:59

Sunday, Jun 04, 2023 at 18:59
What a thoughtful reply, thank you!

I do have a heav vechicle licence, and some truck and bus driving experience. The Tvan set up sounds interesting. Quick is king! Will look into them, sounding like I will have to retire and just take m time!
AnswerID: 643770

Sponsored Links