Castlereagh and Carnarvon Hwys

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 10:50
ThreadID: 148015 Views:944 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
I'll be using the Carnarvon and Castlereagh Hwys from Roma to St George and then down to Dubbo on the way back from Cairns. I been on the Mitchell and Newell but have never been on these sections of these particular highways. Are these sections genuine two lane bits of tarmac or do you need to get off when passing on oncoming heavy vehicles? Because the vehicle needs to be used by mobility impaired relatives we'll be using our sedan for the trip and it's on the lowish side.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Briste - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 13:20

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 13:20
I have very recently travelled most of these roads and I did the rest a couple of years ago. Assuming you're going via Dirranbandi and past Lightning Ridge (the route from Mungindi to Collarenebri has a section of variable dirt in the middle, and some roadworks in the northern bitumen section), then I can't recall any single lane bitumen sections. But I wasn't keeping score. My recollection is that the roads were generally ok. You could double check on Google Street View.
AnswerID: 646194

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 18:52

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 18:52
St George to Moree is two lanes all the way. You can check these roads yourself by using Google Maps Street View - example Castlereagh Hwy. Use your cursor to spin the street view around to look both ways.

PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 646195

Reply By: Member - Warren H - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 19:08

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 19:08
Thanks. I just looked at the satellite image and it's high enough resolution to see the line markings. I'm a bit paranoid, because when on the Gold Coast Expressway, a number plate of all things, lying in our lane flipped up, jammed against the sump plug causing it to leak. Fortunately it fell out when I found an exit and could safely slow down.
NT Pajero
2007 Goldstream Crown

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646196

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 20:15

Sunday, Jul 14, 2024 at 20:15
Dubbo to Roma on the Newell, Castlereagh and Carnarvon Highways is dual lane (wide single lane in both directions). Provided the on coming traffic stays in their lane, you don't need to move oot of your lane.
AnswerID: 646197

Sponsored Links