Cape York

Hi Team
Wanting to do a trip to the Cape in 2025 (winter months). We'll be starting from the Sunshine Coast in QLD. Originally from Townsville & have travelled to the Daintree but unfortunately never further.

We'd like to do the CREB Track (weather permitting) so we'll take the van to Cairns & leave it there & OzTent it from then on.

Just chasing ideas from once the CREB is done - camp areas/pubs etc. Don't want to kill the car but happy to take it where it will take us on the Tele Track & chicken out if necessary. Plenty of bush driving experience offroad while I lived up north, crossed the Simmo a while back & happy to use the car for what we have it for.

We'll have a LC 300 & have about 3 weeks return. Happy to smash out the KLM's to get to Cairns - been up & down the coast from here to there plenty times. Any similar itineraries would help.

Thanks in advance.

Back Reply Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bigfish - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 06:18

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 06:18
Most important thing to remember about heading up to the cape and doing the Telegraph Track is that you have to get home!! So many fools act all gungho thinking their over weight, over accessorized landcruiser is just "tuff" and will go anywhere.......many head home to Cairns on the back of a flatbed truck. The "chicken tracks", as they are called, are for the sensible people whose ego,s are not out of control. . The track is very doable by most basic 4wd,s if approached sensibly.. Avoid the deeper water crossings and you will also find like minded people doing the track as well. . When on the track ensure that you leave no rubbish and you know how to take a dump in the bush properly!!! So much dunny paper and crap spread everywhere, its sickening . Only attempt the CREB if it is totally dry and no rain is forecast. I,d recommend having a winch as well and try to travel with another vehicle. Dont be like the morons on All For Adventure!. Cairns to Cooktown via the Daintree is an easy 4wd track in the dry. Care should be taken in rain and pay attention to the road signs. Road would have altered after the last cyclone as well. Myself, I,d the van up to Laura and leave it there. Depending on the vans size it may be possible to take it via the Daintree...small camper or van only as vans are not recommended. It would pay to check as I,m unsure how the cyclone affected the road....maybe ring the Lions Den Pub.
AnswerID: 646259

Reply By: Member - Rockvegaspowers - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 07:37

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 07:37
I agree with Big Fish. You want to get there, and back home. You can do the Tele Track without a shopfull of aftermarket accessories. We did it in late September 2023 with a standard '88 Patrol, following a friend who had done the trip before. Drop your pressure to suit the rod conditions, take your time, and enjoy the trip.

There is a recent youtube video of a mob doing the track early in the season (I think April), and they started breaking things at the first creek. Why you would go when the place is still flooded is beyond me. Not only that, they wrecked the track for others that follow when it is dry.
Rockvegaspowers

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646260

Reply By: Member - McLaren3030 - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 07:58

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 07:58
Hi Stefandsal,

We took our 2.6 Tonne Off Road Van all the way to Punsand Bay back in 2018 without any problems. We travelled across from Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria coast via the Normanton to Dixie road crossing the Mitchell River at Maramie, and joining the Peninsular Development Road just south of Musgrave Station. From there we headed north stopping at Archer River, although you could also stop at the Moreton Telegraph Station, then onto Bramwell Junction via the Telegraph Road. We stayed at Bramwell junction, not Bramwell Station, although either campgrounds are OK. From Bramwell Junction, we continued up the Bamaga Road, and stopped just the other side of the Jardine River, and then on to Punsand Bay. The fee for the Jardine River Ferry also includes a camping permit, so you can just pull off the road and camp if you feel like it. Just be a little security conscious and lock everything, don’t leave valuables visible.

We spent a few days at Punsand Bay checking out the various sights including “The Tip”. There is quite a lot to see at Cape York, including Somerset Homestead. Leaving Punsand Bay and Bamaga, we headed back down the Bamaga Road to Bramwell Junction. We left the vans at Bramwell Junction, and headed back up The Old Telegraph Track, going all the way back up the Jardine River again, before heading back to Bramwell Junction to pick up the vans. There are plenty of camp sites along the Old Telegraph Track. From Bramwell Junction, we then headed back down the Telegraph Road and on to Weipa, before heading down to Cooktown, and further south.

If going again, we would stay at Loyalty Beach, and not Punsand Bay. It is cheaper, and has the same facilities, just a bit further from The Tip.

Make sure you prepare both your towing vehicle and your caravan well. Do not have any loose items as they will end up vibrating and possibly breaking and falling off. The road can be quite corrugated, so lower your tyre pressures and drive accordingly.

Macca.
Macca.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 646261

Reply By: Allan B (Sunshine Coast) - Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 09:36

Friday, Jul 26, 2024 at 09:36
When doing the OTT with all its water crossings it can be a good idea to take a break at each crossing and watch a few other vehicles go through. That way you will learn the safe route to take through the crossing. It is often not the direct path. Several hazards under water are large rocks, soft sand and large holes, any of which can stop you.
There are usually a number of 'watchers' at the crossings who will advise you of the right path…… useful if you are confident in their advice!
The only trouble I experienced was climbing a wet slippery exit,,,,, could not get traction but a fellow driver helped with a tow.

Some pundits will advise that you walk the crossing first. What? With all those croc warning signs?
I spoke with a ranger who had spent all his life on the coast about that. He said that there is no way he would enter the waters on the Cape! It sounded like good advice to me.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 646262

Sponsored Links